Friday, July 8, 2011

How to Bake Better (Lazier?) - Save Time and Calories with this Baking Tip

I've said it before: I'm a lazy baker. But sometimes lazy is good because it saves time and maybe even some calories.

Cookie Dough by Tricia @ SweeterThanSweets

Whenever I make cookies or scones (which is probably more often than it should be), I only bake a few since it's just the 3 of us. Then I scoop all the rest of the dough onto a small cookie sheet and freeze the whole tray of pre-scooped dough.

You can have fresh-baked cookies whenever you want! I think it saves me calories since I am less likely to eat a bunch of cookies "before they go bad." Ha!

(I've also done this for my Sweets when he was going to be home alone for awhile and he wanted to have fresh-baked cookies without having to do most of the work. He asked me so nicely that I couldn't refuse.)

Cookie Dough by Tricia @ SweeterThanSweets

Here's what you need to know:

You can squeeze in a ton of scoops on one baking sheet, just place the scoops right next to each other. Cover the sheet with some plastic wrap and pop it in your freezer overnight. Then the next morning, take them off the cookie sheet and put them into a big freezer-quality zip-top bag.

The frozen dough balls usually come off easiest when you twist them. I've never greased the cookie sheet (remember, I'm a lazy baker) but that might work, too.

Write the cooking temperature and time on the outside of the bag so you don't have to take the recipe out each time you want to bake a few cookies. Make sure you write down if the cookie sheet needs to be greased before baking. You may also want to write the date you made the dough in case they get buried in the freezer somewhere.

When you're ready to bake the cookies, put the frozen dough onto a cookie sheet and let it come to room temperature (usually 20-30 minutes). If you can't wait that long, just add a few minutes to the baking time and they should turn out great that way, too. You might want to press the centers down a bit to help them bake more evenly.

What do you think? What's your best lazy-baker tip?

19 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I love quick tips like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this for meatballs too. Works like a charm. My tip is to freeze everything in gallon zip-loc bags, flattened. You can store so much more that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super awesome tip! Like Janet, I have done this for meatballs but never thought about it for cookies!

    Sea Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that tip - I love the part about eating just want you want while freezing the rest for later....ultimately you eat them all:):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea! I love cookies, but hate baking 3 dozen at a time. This way I can have them when ever I want :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smacking myself in the head! Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done this yet and I really wonder if there could be any downside to freezing the ready dough. Clever reducing idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea! Cookies sound delish right now... I wish I had some in the freezer! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do the exact same thing!! Especially during the winter months when it is soooo nice to have two hot baked cookies after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello, thank you for stopping by and commenting. i am so going to miss living so close to the farm.
    i love this cookie idea. my husband's request is always to leave him a heaping scoop of dough. i am sure if i left the frozen cookies he would constantly snack on them as is!
    i also want to try your kale recipe. do you puree and freeze a lot?
    and, yes, i am totally addicted to pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this! I usually end up eating way too many so this is a perfect tip for me! Visiting from Tatertots and Jello!
    Modern Wivelyhood

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a good idea! I don't know why I haven't ever thought of freezing half the dough . . . I usually bake the whole batch and then make myself sick by eating all of the goodies! :) I am your newest follower and I would love for you to come over and link this up to our Saturday link party! http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/strut-your-stuff-saturday-week-1.html
    Thanks!
    Camille @
    sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great tip. There are only 3 of us here and it can be too much to whip up a full batch and have all those sweets calling your name. I'd love for you to come by and show off your tip at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a blessed day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I grew up in a family with 5 kids, so I would quadruple cookie recipes and they would still only last 2-3 days. Now with my small family (me and hubs and 2 kids 3 and under) I don't want (need) cookies around all the time and if they are there I will eat them. I now make single recipes and recently just started freezing the dough. It's a great idea and better than simply freezing the cookies as it takes less space and the cookies taste better when freshly baked. I also use the dough to make deep dish cookies (pizzookies) with ice cream for snacks after the kids have gone to bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look at you miss smarty pants! This is such a great idea! There are only three in our family and i usually end up giving out to neighbors or sending it to work with my hubby so we don't eat them all! I can't believe I haven't thought of this AWESOME idea! I am your newest follower and would LOVE it if you stopped by and take a look around at my blog, if you like what you see become my newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE LOVE this! I have been wondering the details on trying to freeze dough and I am going to give this a try!
    Hugs,
    Samantha
    SP and Company
    www.thescrapmaster.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is sooo smart, I never thought to do this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments but don't always have time to respond to each one individually. I'll do my best to email you back or swing by your blog. *Please note that if you want a response, your email address must be visible on your Blogger profile.*